1. Explain the bit about choosing music/books/people/places etc.
Rather than having a straight narrative interview, we ask the interviewee to choose 6 of their favourite things, normally music, which are then talked about intermittently during the interview.
2. Why bother with the 6 favourite things?
First, because it’s fun choosing and weeks can be spent finalising the choices. Second, because hearing a family member’s favourite books/music etc. can be really enlightening. Third, (especially if it is the music choices which we play) it makes the recording more interesting.
3. If someone chooses music or wants a poem included, how do we get them?
Lives On Record will source the music and literature on your behalf.
4. How long will the interview last?
The final recording should be 1 hour so the interview will be max 2 hours.
5. Where does the interview take place?
The interviewee chooses. Either at their home or at our offices in Westminster.
6. Will the process before the interview take up a lot of time?
No. Helping us research the interviewee involves filling in a short form, which can be done by post, email or over the telephone.
7. What if I don’t like the finished product?
We will return your money.
8. How much does Lives On Record cost?
£700. (includes VAT)
9. Is it extra if the interview takes place at the interviewee's home?
Obviously, this depends on where the interviewee lives. And we try to combine trips to different parts of the country to minimise costs. Sometimes, an extra travel cost is required, but only up to a maximum of £100.
10. Do you require a deposit?
We require a deposit of £200 to cover any cancellations.
11. How many copies of the recording do we get?
One copy is presented in a personalised Lives On Record book-casing.
12. Can we buy extra CDs of the recording?
Yes - these cost £7.50.
13. I want to get someone's life on record, but they seem nervous about being interviewed, and worry they'll have nothing to say?
Everyone has experiences and stories to tell however young or old, and to the interviewee's family even seemingly mundane details such as where they met their spouse, their first job etc. can be fascinating. Trust Lives On Record to get that information from the interviewee!
14. How intrusive is the interview? There must be occasions when people do not want to answer questions about certain aspects of their life?
We wholly understand this concern so that part of the pre-interview research discretely identifies any such areas. And even if the interviewee does regret an answer, they can of course ask us to edit it out.
15. Who owns the copyright to the recording?
LivesOnRecord owns the copyright to the recording. However, we agree never to distribute or publish the recording without the interviewee's permission or that of their next of kin. We are extremely grateful to some of our customers for allowing us to play clips of their interviews on this website.